“The Fairytale Series” is a modern fairytale retelling series that began with Once Upon a One Night Stand (now titled Once Upon a One Night Mistake) in 2007 on FictionPress. It can be found in full on the Radish Fiction app.
BOOK 1: Once Upon a One Night Mistake
“What if Cinderella absolutely hated Prince Charming?” Several years and a handful of scandals were enough to make Taliana Avilla forget all about her sworn enemy, Sebastian Phillips. Too bad a one-night stand and a lost diamond ring made her remember all over again.
Once Upon a One Night Mistake (previously titled Once Upon a One Night Stand) is a Young Adult/New Adult retelling of Cinderella. The original story consists of Chapter 1 to Chapter 52 (Season 1) and can be considered a standalone book.
From Chapter 53 on, there are brand new chapters. These chapters fill in gaps in the full-series timeline and focus on all of the characters featured in the original story.
Blog Posts About Once Upon a One Night Mistake
BOOK 2: Arabian Nights
Blair Bakhtiar always wanted to be royalty. Zayn al-Haydar wanted to be anything but. When one fateful summer brings them together, the two discover that maybe it’s not that much better on the other side… but the journey there is always full of surprises, with love being the biggest surprise of them all.
Arabian Nights is a YA/NA retelling of 1001 Nights. The story is complete and comprised of 36 chapters, an epilogue, and 4 bonus chapters. Arabian Nights can be read after finishing “Chapter 51 | An Arabian Night” of Once Upon a One Night Stand, or as a standalone novel.
The timeline of Arabian Nights runs concurrently to some of the new chapters of Once Upon a One Night Stand (“Chapter 52 | The Fairytale Continues” to “Chapter 316 | Desperate Times”).
Blog Posts About Arabian Nights
BOOK 3: Dryland
Swimming has always been the love of Michael Richardson’s life. But when an injury puts him out during his last year of college, he realizes there are other things in life he can love just as much, like the cute physical therapist who’s been assigned to his case.
Dryland is a New Adult retelling of The Little Mermaid. The story is comprised of 37 chapters and is complete.
Dryland can be read only after finishing Season 1 of Once Upon a One Night Mistake and Arabian Nights. It cannot be read as a standalone novel.
Blog Posts about Dryland
BOOK 4: Roses & Thorns
Khalid Bakhtiar knows he’s a monster. Rose Thompson is determined to convince him otherwise.
Roses & Thorns is an New Adult/Adult retelling of Beauty and the Beast. The original story is Chapter 1 to Chapter 37 (Season 1) and is complete. It can be read as a standalone novel. However, it is strongly advised to read Arabian Nights first.
From Chapter 38 on, there are brand new chapters. These chapters serve to continue the story, and for new characters and plot lines to be explored.
Blog Posts About Roses & Thorns
How to Best Read the Series
1. Once Upon a One Night Mistake – “1 | The Thin Line Between Love and Hate” to “52 | An Arabian Night” aka Season 1
2. Arabian Nights – Full Story
3. Dryland – Full Story
4. Roses & Thorns – “ONE” to “THIRTY-SEVEN” aka Season 1
Once Upon a One Night Mistake – “Chapter 53 | The Fairytale Continues” to most recent chapter. This story is still ongoing – there are daily updates at 2pm EST.
Roses & Thorns – “THIRTY-EIGHT” to most recent chapter. This story is still ongoing – updates are on Mondays, Fridays, and Sundays at 1pm EST.
I recommend this order of reading due to a few factors:
- The original Fairytale Series (Season 1 of OUAONM, Arabian Nights, Dryland, and Season 1 of Roses & Thorns) can stand on its own without the new chapters of OUAONM or R&T.
- The new chapters of OUAONM and R&T can be considered bonus content. They fill-in blanks in the original series timeline and allow the full cast of characters to have their own plot lines.
- The new chapters of OUAONM and R&T are still ongoing. It’s easier to read complete books and then return for the new, ongoing content.
- I find that readers enjoy the new chapters more when they know what to expect and when to expect it (especially with the new chapters of OUAONM). By reading the full original series, they have those answers already.
- The new chapters can be considered “infinite”. There is no distinct end for this new content. Consider it your window into seeing everything the characters you know and love are doing.
- The new chapters of OUAONM will eventually extend past the timeline of Dryland, so it’s good to have read all of the other books to know what happened (and will happen).