If you’ve read my skincare routine post, you’ll know I LOVE makeup… I just never wear it.
Working from home, there’s really no need for me to get dolled up in order to sit in front of my computer all day, take my dog for a walk, or say hi to the UPS truck driver. I consider my work attire to be a messy bun, a bare face, and a nice matching pajama set. (I mean, it’s a jacket and pants! Might as well be a full suit!)
Even though I don’t wear makeup often, I sure do watch a lot of makeup tutorials. I find them soothing, and I love watching people change up their look with some perfectly placed pigments. Plus, when the time comes for me to put on makeup, I already have some inspiration in my back pocket.
Most of the tutorials here are featured on medium to medium-tan skintones, mainly because those are all pretty close to my shade, depending on the season. The first four are all definitely brown-skin friendly, but I’m sure would work on a variety of other skintones as well, even if it takes a little tweaking! And number five on the list… well, we all need a little fun in our lives.
I’m pretty big into soft, relatively neutral makeup, so most of these looks fall under that category. Bright colors and I have a tumultuous history (looking at you, electric blue eyeshadow from sixth grade) but one day I’d like to try something bright and fun. I’m not there yet… but one day.
Also, even though a lot of these tutorials use high end products, you can find a much more affordable dupe for just about everything these days!
So here we go, my top five favorite makeup tutorials!
1. This is my favorite makeup tutorial OF ALL TIME. The lighting! The beautiful model! The subtle transformation! So, so beautiful! This almost made me go out and buy all of the Charlotte Tilbury products, but uh… a girl’s a little too broke for that, so I definitely recreate this look with more affordable products. It’s all about a soft lit-from-within glow, great for when you want to look like you’re ~flushed with love~
2. Yes, this tutorial is in Italian, but there are English subtitles thankfully! I love, love, love this bronzy, summery glow paired with a glossy nude lip. And those brows! Bold and gorgeous!
3. I know it’s another bridal look, but this eye and red lip pairing are stunning. I love red lipstick on everyone—don’t ever let someone tell you that you can’t wear it or you can’t pull it off! Sometimes it’s all about finding the perfect red for you, and there are so many options on the market today that I’m sure you can find the right one. One of my personal makeup goals is to wear more red lipstick, because a) it’s a classic, b) it’s bold, and c) it just looks so good!!
4. I feel like this is a look you can play up or down and honestly pairs with anything you’re wearing (even leggings and a sweatshirt from your alma mater, which I Have Done With No Shame). It’s a pretty simple neutral eye (and cheek) but the liner really makes everything stand out.
5. Sadly, I’m not out here doing drag makeup, but I still love watching tutorials. Plus, Trixie Mattel is both hilarious and talented, so this is a go-to video for me when I need some cheering up (or a healthy dose of glitter). Also, Trixie’s scream laugh is a day brightener.
Do you watch makeup tutorials? Which ones are your favorites? Let me know in the comments!